In what’s being called the “32 Dog-Saving Campaign,” netizens in Chongqing are rallying to save hundreds of dogs that were intercepted off a transport truck Friday night. The “32″ refers to March 2, the day that dozens of people assembled at the scene where canines, fresh off the truck, remained tied up or locked in cages. You can get a glimpse in the video above.
Terence Yam of Hong Kong has written the definitive post about this incident, with information culled from Sina Weibo. He wrote that because he’s not in Chongqing, the least he could do was translate the information from social media in the hope that English speakers join the cause. He’s created a Facebook page called “Save the dogs in China – 聲援 「重慶32狗狗大救援」 行動,” and written a note titled “’March 2–Dog Saving Campaign’ in Chongqing reveals Dark side of the China Government. Animal Law in China is urgently needed!” It’s this note that we reproduce below.
Read on if you can bear it. In one case, a female dog owner found her stolen golden retriever on the death truck headed for the slaughterhouse, but had to buy back her pet. Eyewitnesses say volunteers were also beaten, and speculated that the police were in cahoots with the dog traders.
Take it away, Mr. Yam:
By Terence Yam
“Never ever depend upon government or institutions to solve any major problem. All social change comes from the passion of individuals.”, said Margaret Mead in “The Cove”.
I saw this piece of news in China’s tweeter “Weibo” tonight. As a dog lover and a human being, I decided to translate it and spread it to more people. If you dislike what the government and dog trader are doing in the story I am about to tell, or you support the action of those volunteers, I urge you to spread this out through your social media network. We may not be able to say those dogs’ life since they are already in very bad shape. But spreading this out may help prevent it from happening again! Thanks for your help. Regards,Terence
Here a quick glance of what happened:
Volunteers stopped a truck full of 927 dogs in cages but the government was on the trader’s side
- A volunteer found a truck (car plate: 桂B21759) transporting near a thousand of dogs towards Chongqing. He stopped the truck and reported to the local Animal Health Inspection Department.
- The government officials said the company got a “Legal” good inspection license and the dogs seem “HEALTHY and Safe for Consumption” (Let’s see with you own eyes if the dogs are really healthy when you scroll down to see the pictures”
- In fact, most of the dogs were either dead or dying. (Due to the super crowded living area, lack of water/ food as well as sickness)
- Dog tags or collars can be found of the dog’s neck, which proves that those dogs are stole from the original owners rather than being raised up for meat.
- A female dog owner just made it to the scene and found her beloved Golden Retriever. She has pay the trader to BUY back her dog who was STOLEN in the face of the POLICE!!!
- The local government department let the truck continue to move on. The volunteers called for help and more supporters joined in.
927 dogs were being transported to Chongqing for meat. A girl found her Golden Retriever on the truck and saved him.
Volunteers got beaten under the police’s acquiescence
- The group stopped the truck again, trying to save the dogs. The dog traders summoned a few dozens of gangsters to beat up the volunteers.
- The dog traders threatened the volunteers that they have guns, and they have been transporting dogs to the butchery for a long time.
- The police force circled up the scene to prevent the volunteers from walking over to save the dogs.
Local government agreed to inspect the dogs again, but refused to use the standard suggested
- After nearly 40 hours of endeavor, the trader agreed to let the volunteers unload the dogs (which took four hours) for a new round of health inspection.
- The local government said they will inspect the dogs again, but refused to use the standard and methods that the volunteers suggested.
- Not much local media came for the case. The only two reporters who came turned out couldn’t write the story because of the pressure from their bosses.
- The dogs, who are men’s best friend and in bad shape, will be transported to the restaurants in the city for serving as food for those dog-meat-eater.
- Let alone the discussion if dog eating is right or wrong (I personally hate people who eat dogs), viruses and unpredictable diseases may be carried in the meat itself.
- And most importantly, it is obvious that the dogs trapped in the truck are not what the traders claimed to be privately raised for meat. They are originally the beloved dogs in many people’s family! It is too obvious when you look closely.
Finally they can unload the dogs.
How can you help?
- Like this note to let your friends know about this ugly fact in China!
- Share it, SPREAD THE NEWS! The government really need some external voice and pressure to do the right thing.
- As I said earlier, we may not be able to save the lives of those dogs as they are already in really bad shape. But with the public pressure, we may be able to push the government to set up certain kind of Animal Laws to prevent bad things like this from happening again.
Thanks for your support in advance and may god be with you.