Founder and CEO of the Hangzhou-based Wahaha, Zong Qinghou, was reportedly assaulted with a knife on Friday and had tendons in his hand slashed.
Shenzhen-based Hong Kong Commercial Daily earlier said four tendons on Zong’s left hand were severed during an attack near his home at downtown Jiefang Road on Friday morning. It said Zong underwent reattachment operations in Hangzhou’s Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine, quoting a nurse of the institution.
More details will be released later. In the meantime, a source told SCMP that Zong was back in the office as of this morning.
Zong, 67, is the second-richest man in China, according to this year’s Hurun Rich List, behind real estate tycoon Wang Jianlin — “despite Zong’s wealth growing 50%.” He ranked No. 1 in 2012.
UPDATE, 2:27 pm: A suspect — a disgruntled job interviewee — has been arrested, according to Xinhua:
The suspect, a 49-year-old man surnamed Yang, was captured around 3 p.m. on Friday.
Police said Yang, a resident of Suzhou City in neighboring Jiangsu Province, came to Hangzhou earlier this year, hoping to find a job there.
After his failure in this regard, Yang hoped to seek a job in Zong’s company, according to the police.
On Friday, Yang came to the residential quarter where Zong lives and met him. After being declined a job opportunity, Yang committed the attack, police said.