The Beijing News reports that a Beijing resident, surnamed Shen, was sent to the hospital on Monday after drinking water containing toxic dish detergent.
Shen’s wife told the media that he is recovering, but that the extent of his internal injuries is not known.
A representative of the restaurant’s holding company, Miele Food Import Export, took responsibility for the incident, explaining that a cleaner had put detergent into a water thermos to wash it out and then left without marking it.
Lo’ how the mighty have fallen for The Beijinger’s 2011 Best Affordable Italian joint. Chef Luca Mania might serve a mean pizza, but we recommend staying away from the lemonade.