We reported yesterday morning on the miracle baby in Pujiang, Zhejiang province who survived being flushed down a squat toilet. The latest report is -- while not necessarily more shocking -- just as incredible.
Turn your attention to the above newscast, which says authorities have identified the child's mother -- in fact, had basically known who she was all this time, since she was the one who alerted her landlord to the infant in the toilet in the first place.
Look at this van. How many young children can fit inside? (No, this isn't a variation of a dead baby joke.) At least 40? At least 40. Because it's a clown van, and the gimmick is there's always room for one more than you'd expect.
This Shanghai Daily article is just slightly jaw-dropping:
Police are searching for a woman who flushed her newborn boy down the toilet in a dormitory building on Saturday afternoon in Pujiang County, Zhejiang Province, local media reported today.
The baby, however, got stuck in the L-shaped pipe and his cry alerted other tenants in the building. Firefighters arrived after receiving a call and spent two hours to saw off the pipe to free the baby.
Two young children were the victims of a dispute between the adults of rival kindergartens last week, according to Xinhua. Let that punch in the gut settle in. Xinhua reports that the principal of an unnamed kindergarten in Pingshan, Hebei province intentionally laced yogurt with tetramine, then hired someone to have it sold along a route that children... Read more »
Morbid details have emerged in the story of the British toddler who was crushed by a “falling screen” last Monday in a Shanghai restaurant. The accident happened at Kervan Orient Express just after 8 pm when the three-year-old boy, playing with a seven-year-old girl, fell down and “touched the partition screen, which fell and hit him... Read more »
Police are investigating how a three-year-old boy could have been killed by a falling screen in a restaurant in Shanghai’s downtown Huangpu District on Monday. According to Shanghai Daily, “Witnesses said the boy may have accidentally touched the screen before it fell on him. Screens are sometimes used by restaurants to divide dining areas.” The boy... Read more »
Boy they do start young, don’t they? Hart Hagerty, who runs the blog Shanghai Style Life, was celebrating Easter in Shanghai’s Fuxing Park yesterday when she saw this. More pictures are posted over at her website, where she writes: My jaw dropped when his pajama-clad mother handed the tot a cigarette… then lit it for him... Read more »
Ah, the classic China story: toddlers falling off balconies. I've gotten a bit complacent and let a few of these tales go unblogged, but this one from Zhongshan, Guangdong province has to go up.
On March 21 at about 11 pm, a small girl crawled or walked out of her sixth-floor apartment balcony. She clung onto the ledge for dear life. Seeing this, about 10 passersby quickly grabbed a tarp in expectation of catching her if she fell. Sure enough, because she's a toddler, she fell.